The NHS is stretched and costs are constantly under scrutiny for all departments. It is just one of the backbones of the NHS and it’s critically important that it works effectively in order to support a smooth-running healthcare service. So, how do you strike the balance between purchasing reliable computers for healthcare, that work consistently across a range of locations, buying in sustainable way all whilst keeping costs to a minimum? Our client, Aneurin Bevan University Health Board, NHS Wales demonstrate how choosing refurbished IT can save thousands.
Challenges of replacing IT equipment
Many of our clients provide a specific brief when they contact us to start the process of upgrading or replacing their IT equipment. Below are some of the challenges Aneurin Bevan University Health Board faced when researching their upgrade:
– Tight budget: Embargo on products over £100 due to tightening of budgetary constraints
– Old hardware: The original estates were over 10–13 years old, so were underperforming
– Obsolete O/S: With the XP end of life, many of the systems were susceptible to viruses and other nasties as well as being difficult to upgrade to work with newer versions of Windows.
– Storage issues: Limited storage onsite strengthened the requirement for just in time deliveries.
The benefits of refurbished IT
Our specialist team worked with the Board, to agree the brief and identify the appropriate machines to meet their needs.
– Entry level Dell OptiPlex units were purchased for £80 (a saving of over £200per unit) which meant that they were affordable
– The Dell OptiPlex 780 SFF were more up to date than older computers, offering more memory, with new SSD hard-drives and greater graphical and CPU processing capability to support clinical practises and a lengthy life cycle
– All desktops were Win7 capable, were asset tagged and securely delivered to ABUHB engineers who then applied a secure image to the build
– By making the switch to refurbished machines, Aneurin Bevan made a saving of over £160,000
Supply and delivery of 800 desktops for Aneurin Bevan University Health Board
All of our refurbished hardware goes through our rigorous Q20 checklist, to ensure each machine performs as expected, we then apply a 12-month warranty, to give our customers complete peace of mind. Unfortunately, not all refurbished IT companies provide this level of service, so understandably, there can be some hesitancy in choosing to invest in refurbished equipment.
We are so confident in our machines that we will ship a demo machine to you for your IT/engineers to review. Following discussions on the requirements for Aneurin Bevan University Health Board, we shipped a machine to be reviewed by their engineers. Based on the quality and performance of this machine, they ordered over 800 desktops over a five-week period.
Upgrading the complete IT provision
Staff using the new hardware have all been extremely positive reporting both speed and performance enhancement. The ICT Business and Support Manager and her team share their thoughts:
“It’s an easy relationship. They’ve always been very accommodating and there have never been any issues with the equipment. Renewed have been able to work around our limited budget, and tight logistical delivery schedule, helping us to bring our IT estates up to a much more acceptable level. They are definitely worth testing and trying out”.
If you are looking to upgrade the IT provision for your organisation, get in touch to speak to one of our experts to find out how we can supply you with high-quality, reliable refurbished computers and save you up to 40% versus new. Call +44 (0) 1428 707900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org